Information for food businesses in the City of Onkaparinga
First steps for a new food business
- You need to notify council of your business by completing a Food business notification form and returning it to council PRIOR to commencing your business
- You need to operate in accordance with the Food Act 2001 and Food Safety Standards to produce safe and suitable food. SA Health provide a range of Resources for food businesses.
- You need to design your food premises to comply with the Australian Standard 4674:2004 Design, Construction and Fitout of Food premises. A summary of the requirements is available on our Construction and Fitout of Food Premises Fact Sheet.
- Your staff need to have knowledge and skills to produce safe food – there is free training online or seminar available
- A food safety rating scheme operates in SA for food premises selling ready to eat food to the public. You can obtain up to a 5 star rating based on your annual inspection results. See the SA Health Food Safety Rating Scheme webpage for more details.
Additional information if your business is a temporary food premises (stall holders or mobile food vehicles)
- You need to notify council of your business by completing a Temporary Food Business Notification Form and returning it to council PRIOR to commencing your business
- Your mobile food van should be constructed in accordance with the NSW Mobile Food Vending Guidelines (SA’s Guidelines are still being finalised)
- You market stall should be set up in accordance with the Temporary Event Fact Sheet
If you have any other questions you can search the SA Health Food Standards webpage or contact the City of Onkaparinga Environmental Health team on 08 8384 0666